October 18, 2012

Please don't call me Ishmael

If you visit Google today, you'll find a graphic celebrating the 161st anniversary of Moby Dick . I found another source which suggests that it came out on Nov. 14th, but maybe that was the paper back release...

Anyway, seeing this reminds me of a book I read this summer: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. This is a novel about baseball and Herman Melville and I very much enjoyed it. Unlike Moby Dick, it is not laden with heavy symbolism. It is straight-forward story telling featuring a cast of the most likeable characters I've read in recent fiction. It's in paperback now, so pick-up a copy and read it before baseball ends on Nov. 2nd. Of course it ended for me some weeks ago when the Pirates finished their 20th straight season with a losing record.

We'll get em' next year, boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment