May 23, 2011

No Whammies

Last night I lay in bed, pondering over the week ahead when inexplicably, the Muppets entered my mind. I thought about hearing "The Rainbow Connection" for the first time, which was also the first time I saw a movie at a theater. It was just my mom and me, and I remember being overcome with emotion when those muppets sang "Someday we'll find it - the rainbow connection - the lovers, the dreamers, and me." And Yes, I thought me meant me. And it was then, sitting at the Showcase Cinemas West in a green chair which had not yet become soiled or sticky when it hit me: I, too, was a dreamer. I was four and had already found my flock. I wept with happiness at the connection between myself and Miss Piggy, that karate chopping, self-made woman muppet. Between myself and Kermit, the idealistic, ever patient frog with a story to tell. Fozzie and Gonzo and the Swedish Chef - even the two curmudgeon old men, mocking the naive optimism from their high seats in the balcony. I had something in common with all of them, and it fills me with such joy to think about it, even now.

I love those Muppets and the songs they sang. Everything Jim Henson created was a gift: Fraggle Rock and Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas are such treasures. And it was a gift to remember them last night. Good thoughts are more valuable than gold, and so for this week (in keeping with things from times gone by) I wish you Big Bucks in the form of good thoughts and absolutely No Whammies.

1 comment:

  1. I love that I know this about you now. I grew up on Muppets, though my best friend in high school was somewhat more obsessed with them. Sal owns all the DVDs of The Muppet Show and the movies. You know they are making a new movie, yes? It's going to be pretty awesome, IMO.

    ReplyDelete